Thursday, September 6, 2007

Faces - Doctor Octopus


DORK!!!

Man, with a name as cool sounding as Doctor Octopus, I think Marvel really missed the boat on this guy in terms of his look. He looks like he's in a custodial one-piece with a turtle-neck underneath.

Yes, I know all those early villains had a bright, colorful, amusement park funhouse look to them, but most were eventually transitioned into something a little darker and scarier. This guy still has that really mod, 60's vibe about him. Sure, the second SpiderMan movie did a good job interpreting him for the silver screen, but in comics he still sticks out like a sore thumb as being too hokey and unthreatening.

1 comment:

alicia policia said...

Yeah, Doc Oc has a pretty lame costume, but I think it's the bowl haircut that needs to go, so far as his goofiness goes.

But, I really like your drawing. You did a good job at eviling him up. His gummy lower lip makes me imagine that he would sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Very nice face drawings (Kid Flash and Namor), by the way. I want to see more!