Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Computer Bug



This is just a practice illustration I did to experiment with various photoshop techniques. The original drawing was done in black and blue inks on computer paper and I was loosely interpreting the idea of how a computer bug manifests itself and how it is resolved. Along with practicing my photoshop skills, with every piece I do, I am slowly building my own visual language.

Things I learned from doing this piece were:

Do more rendering with traditional techniques first before you bring the image into the computer. I think that I'm pretty terrible when it comes to rendering things with my Wacom tablet and feel much more comfortable doing so using classic techniques. Not only that, but I would much rather be working with my hands using pencils, pens and paints to create rather than sit in front of a computer.

I think when I DO use the computer to color, I might try to limit it to flat color or simple gradients.

The composition of the piece is somewhat lacking, but that could have been better resolved were it not an immediate ink drawing. Not that that's an excuse. I suppose another thing learned, and this is an old problem of mine, is to better flesh out an idea before committing to it. No rendering, textures or computer flashiness is ever going to cover up poor composition, contrast, or any other fundamental element of design.

But i just get so EXCITED! :-/

1 comment:

alicia policia said...

I totally agree with the traditional v. wacom issue. I need to remember that I draw my best stuff with a pen or pencil in hand, and while I am confident in my Wacom skills, it just never has as much personality as my traditional stuff.

I also have always found it hard to try and flesh out composition and all of the technical bit before letting it hit the paper. It's especially difficult while trying to maintain the freshnesss and unique qualities found in my 'spontaneous' drawings. I want the look of drawing without thinking, but I don't want to actually be drawing without thinking. Gah!

Oh, and by the way, I dig your blog. It's inspiring me to make my own - for real this time!

I think I'm off to doodle and draw not on the computer now.