Friday, January 11, 2008

Character Sketches



I'm currently working on two comics projects for different publishers. The first is a four issue mini-series titled "Murmurs of Madness," being published by Chimaera Studios. It's a WWII science fiction/horror tale very much in the vein of HP Lovecraft. I am penciling and inking this series, which is scary since I've never inked a thing in my life. What better time than now to learn, right?

The second is a mini-series called "Dragonlance Chronicles: Tale of the Twins." This is coming out from Devil's Due Publishing and even though there are only three issues, each issue is a whopping 40 pages! I'll be posting some character designs and whatnot from that series as well in the near future.

The image being posted today is a study of some German soldiers and their weapons. I'll be doing studies like this for the American forces as well. I find it's important to do character sketches not only for your lead roles, but also for background characters. This way, when you're in the middle of working on a page and need to draw a crowd, fight scene, etc., you have a piece of reference instead of making up faces on the spot, which for me, always results in characters that look too similar to one another.

No comments: