Monday, June 16, 2008

Hard Edged


I think i've always had a natural aversion to drawing everything and anything mechanical. Cars, planes, guns, robots... anything that will probably require the use of a ruler or some sort of french curve (freedom curve?) and i definitely can't hang. I don't know whether I have some sort of learning disability when it comes to technical drawing or whether I just really prefer and find organic subject matter to be much more interesting.

This Ultron sketch proves my point. I saw this version of this character online and liked it as opposed to older versions, even though it borrows heavily from a lot of generic anime mecha designs. Maybe not designs per se, but just the general shapes that are used in the silhouette construction of the character. I kept the lines pretty obviously hand-drawn and like it better that way.

I don't know much about all the different incarnations of the character, but my idea was to show Ultron sort of being "born." He might be coming out of some cool-down vat of liquid or rolling off of some high-tech assembly line -- something along those lines.

Anyway, I haven't at all given up on perspective or hard edge objects. I've actually got an Iron Man sketch rolling around upstairs that I want to put down, and I haven't even seen the movie yet. Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It enables us to express our feelings and opinions.

alicia policia said...

Hmmm, well I don't know what that first comment's about.

Anyway, I have the same aversion to anything and everything mechanical. I think I just really prefer organic things so much more because I find them more interesting to draw, which means I ignored all things 'machine'since it bored me...which in turn now makes that more of a challenge for me to draw machines.

That's when it's handy to have an engineer boyfriend around who can tell you if your mechanics are spot on (or not). : )

Although I thought you liked to draw robots, Mr. 'Doctor Robot' painting.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised by the Iron Man movie. I liked it. I have friends who loved it who were expecting it to suck. I mostly didn't care going in to see it because I don't really care about Iron Man. But RDJ really makes it for me. He's a good actor.