Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Silver Surfer - 20 min.


I haven't even seen the second Fantastic Four movie featuring this character yet, but I'm lovingn Pasqual Ferry's art on Ultimate FF, so I thought I'd give ol' Norrin Radd a try. Quick gripe first, though: Pasqual Ferry's art isn't inked, which is fine. Same goes for Leinil Yu on Avengers. However, WHY are the colorists on BOTH those books going so very very DARK with their work???? You can barely tell what the hell's going on half the time!!! Even on good quality, glossy paper stock! It's a complete waste of two people's month's worth of work! Setting a mood for the book is one thing, but who wants to pay for a comic where the art is a dodgy mess? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Blame the editors, I guess. It's their call.

This piece is mildly successful for a 20 minute sketch. I think it's pretty clear I was going for a fish-eye lens, actual-surfer effect. However, I completely slaughtered the proportions, especially on the upper half (look at that freaking thimble of a head). Still, I like the motion of the piece and am trying to incorporate a more fluid, animated element into my work. I'll keep trying!

Oh, also, I think I need to start doing these sketches on larger paper. Standard letter size is awfully cramped. I think the reason I do it, though, is because I need a bigger scanner. There's no way I'm going to do multiple scans and frankenstein them together for the sake of this blog.

2 comments:

alicia policia said...

I have no idea what you're talking about so far as the coloring on FF goes, because I haven't bought a comic in well over a year (blasphemy!). I'll try to look it up, though. The thought of inkless art sounds great to me, because I'm not so much the big inking fan (depending on the art).

I like that you're playing around with movement and perspective, but yeah, the proportions/anatomy look(s) off. For me, it's his left arm/armpit that looks odd, not so much his head. Anyway, it's fun, and I like that, and it's pretty damn good for a 20 min sketch (in my opinion).

I've never even bothered trying to draw Silver Surfer. I guess to me he's too and difficult and lacking in fashion to draw... give me girls, with skirts, and cute outfits and costumes. I know how to draw them. That, I'll draw any day. But a shiny, naked ken-doll, metal dude in space does not sound fun to draw at all (to me). He's missing all the fun bits. : )

Oh, and how was San Diego?

Oh, and also, I'm requesting a Nightcrawler sketch. : )

davidjamescole said...

haven't bought a comic in well over a year?!? well, let's break that streak this november with Birds of Prey #112 (wink, wink).

i'll call you soon to tell you about san diego and everything else all the way back to lubin house. damn, its been a while! :)